Tuesday 2 June 2015

DWP secret reviews into benefit deaths - new details revealed

Image by Chris Beckett

New information has come to light about the DWP's secret peer reviews into the deaths of 49 benefit claimants.

A freedom of information request has revealed that almost half of the people who died were in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) meaning they had an illness or disability.

In response to my request to know which benefit the 49 people were getting at the time of death, the DWP said:

"At the time of death, eight people were claiming Job Seekers Allowance, 22 were claiming Employment and Support Allowance, one was claiming Pension Credit and five were not claiming benefit.

"In the remaining cases, from the information held in the Peer Reviews it is not clear which benefit was being claimed at the time of death."

The DWP recently admitted that one in five of the 49 people who died had had their benefits sanctioned at some stage.

While they have consistently refused to make the reviews public, even with personal details omitted, they were forced to admit that 40 of the 49 peer reviews were carried out following the suicide or apparent suicide of a benefit claimant.

In its reply the DWP said:

"The 49 peer reviews to which you refer were conducted in cases where the person had died, but not all as a result of suicide or subject to a sanction."


3 comments:

  1. In 2019, I returned homefrom a 10 hour operation to find that 2 tenants who had been bullying me for 7years had made a report about me and were now shadowing me throughout my home. Cameras were clearly heard clicking as you undressed or sat on the toilet, so to continue with photos and videos to DWP my entire Flat was under surveillance 24/7. I reported this, but they tried to say my Cancer medication was clouding my judgement. I was reported to supermarkets and followed like a criminal every day. I became frightened to go out. Scared to use the toilet, no privacy to use my enema kit to help with slow Transit nor privacy to use or change my tenna pads. I held my urine because I did not want to use the bathroom through fear. On Thursday 3 April 2021, I was reported to the store manager to be watched, I was followed relentlessly through the store, groupings were set up to mock me. I was trembling with fear inside. I literally wet myself. I was so anxious. Noone would believe this is happening in 2021, but it is. Please advise me on this email:r-c-e@hotmail.co.uk. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Į am followed everywhere even in the nursing home.I would be happy not to wake up everninght

      Delete
  2. Į AM FOLLWEMD EVERYWHERE EVEN IN THE NURSING HOME.I WOULD BE HAPPIEST NOT TO WAKE UP OVERNIGHT.....

    ReplyDelete